It’s that time of year when the apple are perfect and many of us are visiting the orchards! With the fresh apples, this coffee cake is hard to beat! Great for a brunch or make ahead for weekday school breakfasts! Easily gluten free if you sub out the flour.
Apple Maple Crumble Coffee Cake
- 1 3/4 cup regular or gluten free flour
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp apple pie spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 oz whipped cream cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 2 cups apples peeled and cubed (about 2 medium apples)
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter softened but not melted
- 1/4 cup regular or gluten free flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a springform pan or pie dish with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour, oats, baking soda, salt and spices).
- In a bowl of a stand mixer or using electric beaters, cream together cream cheese and sugar until smooth and slightly fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add in 1 egg at a time and mix until smooth.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together wet ingredients (maple syrup, yogurt and vanilla) until smooth.
- Turn the mixer to low speed. Alternating dry and wet mixtures, add half of each at a time and allow to just incorporate before adding the next. Stop the mixer when all of the ingredients just come together, being careful not to overmix. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula to ensure everything is incorporated. Add diced apples and mix on low just long enough to incorporate. Set batter aside.
- In a small bowl, combine butter, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon for crumble. Mixture will be moist and dense. Once incorporated, set aside.
- Transfer half of batter to prepared pan. Sprinkle half of brown sugar crumble mixture on top. Note, pieces may be thick and clump together. Use a spoon or knife to break up and swirl. Pour remaining half of batter over top. Top with remaining brown sugar crumble mixture using same technique.
- Place in oven and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a skewer or knife inserted in the middle of the cake comes out with few moist crumbs attached. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove by loosening springform rim and gently lifting rim off. Move to a cooling rack until ready to serve.
- Serve and enjoy!