Avocado Toast with Poached Eggs and Pickled Veggies
Servings: 2 servings
- 2 slices bread sub gluten free, if desired
- 1 avocado pitted and diced
- ½ cup grape or cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp vinegar
- Honey for drizzling
- 2 cups raw vegetables radishes, cucumber, carrots or other favorites
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 1 shallot or small red onion thinly sliced
- 2 cups red or white wine vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp celery salt
- Fresh dill optional
- Combine vinegar, water, sugar salt and celery salt in a glass jar or airtight container (you will need a lid for the container). Whisk together and let sit for a few minutes until sugar dissolves. Once sugar is dissolved, add vegetables, garlic, shallot or onion and fresh dill (optional). Ensure liquid covers vegetables. If necessary, add a touch more water or vinegar. Cover with a lid and shake to mix well. Place in refrigerator to allow vegetables to marinate and pickle for at least one hour or preferably, overnight. The longer these marinate, the better. Good for up to two weeks in an airtight container.
- Toast bread. Set aside.
- Mix together avocado, tomatoes, oil, salt & pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
- To prepare poached eggs, add water to a small stockpot and ensure depth is roughly 3-4” in pan. Add vinegar to pot and heat on high. Crack eggs, one at a time into a small bowl or ramekin. You will need to poach one egg at a time. Once water is boiling, use a wooden spoon or spatula to create a fast swirl of the water. Once moving, slowly add one egg a time. The water movement will help the whites of the egg stay contained and ensure the egg doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan. Set a timer for 3 minutes. Once cooked, use a slotted spoon to remove from water. Lay on a paper towel or napkin for excess water to drain off. Repeat with remaining egg. Note, you need to create the swirling motion in the water with each new egg you poach.
- Assemble avocado toast on a plate. Place toast on plate and top with avocado & tomato mixture. Slightly smear onto bread if needed. Top with desired amount of pickled vegetables. Note, I find it best to use a fork or slotted spoon to scoop vegetables out of liquid. Top with a poached egg. Very lightly drizzle with honey. Enjoy!