The sun perfectly rose over these right after they came out of the oven. School is in full force over here and we are always on the hunt for healthy breakfasts that we can prep ahead. Made these on Monday and they were gone by Wednesday! Little hands love them!
Banana Chocolate Oat Muffins
- 2 cups regular or gluten free flour
- 1 cup oats
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- ½ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1/4 cup milk buttermilk, or non dairy milk
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 4 medium bananas overly ripe is best
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray 1-2 standard sized muffin tins with non stick spray. (Note: Can also prepare in batches if you only have one tin).
- Mash bananas well in a bowl with the back of a fork or spoon. (This is a fun task for kids with clean hands!) This will ensure they incorporate evenly into batter. Next, combine flour, oats, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together eggs, sugar, and oil until well combined. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until just combined. The mixture will be thick and dry. Then add bananas, milk, vanilla and mini chocolate chips to the mixture and stir until incorporated.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan. Bake for 25 minutes or until lightly golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove muffins from oven to a cooling rack and let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. These can be made ahead and stored in airtight container for 3-5 days.