Taco night is a favorite around here! Full of great flavor, easy, healthy and quick makes these blackened salmon tacos a winner around! Make extra blackening seasoning and save for another meal. It’s great on chicken or fish!
Blackened Salmon Tacos
- 1 lb salmon cut into 4 filets
- 2 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp thyme or Italian seasoning
- Olive oil
- 8 corn tortillas or 4 flour tortillas
- Cabbage shredded
- Cotija crumbled
- Avocado or avocado cream see below for recipe.
- 2 avocados pitted
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup avocado mayonnaise
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- juice and zest of 1 large lime
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and spread out salmon filets.
- Mix spices in a small bowl.
- Pat salmon filets dry with a paper towel. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle blackening mixture over filets. Gently press seasoning down onto filets to ensure it sticks.
- Bake 10-12 minutes. Turn oven up to broil. Place sheet pan directly under broiler for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Remove salmon from oven and gently break into small pieces. Serve on tortillas with cabbage, top with cotija or favorite cheese and avocado cream. If using corn tortillas, I like to double up with two tortillas for each taco. They are low calorie and help the stuffed full tacos not break.
- Note, I love to char my tortillas a bit before serving. This can be done quickly on an indoor gas stove. Heat your flame to medium and place tortillas directly on the grates over the flame (no pan). Cook for 20-30 seconds and use tongs to flip. Repeat on other side. Repeat for all tortillas. Alternatively, you could do on a grill or grill pan. Flip once slightly charred around edges but not burned.
- Scoop avocado into the bowl of a food processor along with rest of ingredients. Pulse until ingredients are chopped small, then blend smooth, streaming in a few tablespoons of water to create a looser consistency if desired.