The temps the last few days in Minnesota have been the hottest in the last three years so we are craving lighter meals at days end. Our BLT salad has a wonderful balance of flavors and the warm shallot dressing is best part (in our opinion!). Enjoy for dinner and a perfect summer night!
BLT Salad with Grilled Chicken and Warm Shallot Dressing
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 slices bacon
- 4 garlic cloves diced
- 1 shallot diced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinaigrette
- 2 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 heirloom tomatoes quartered
- 2 avocados pit removed and quartered
- 1/4 cup candied pecans roughly chopped
- 4 poached eggs
- Pat chicken breasts dry with a paper towel. Drizzle both sides with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill over medium heat for 7-8 minutes on each side or until internal temperature reads 165 degrees.
- While chicken is cooking, cook bacon in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Flip and cook until both sides are lightly browned or cooked to your liking.
- Once done, drain bacon on a paper towel. Reserve bacon fat. Cook diced shallot and garlic in bacon fat over medium heat for 5-7 minutes. Once lightly browned, turn off heat.
- Remove chicken from grill and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients for dressing (olive oil through pepper). Using a slotted spoon, remove shallots and garlic from bacon fat and add to dressing. Whisk dressing ingredients well to combine.
- Slice chicken and break up bacon.
- In a large bowl, mix half of dressing with lettuce. Plate by evenly dividing servings of dressed lettuce. Top with tomatoes, avocado, pecans, bacon and chicken. Drizzle with remaining dressing.
- If desired, top with freshly poached egg.