One of our easiest pasta dishes! Perfect for a quick meal for the entire family. The broccoli adds beautiful color and some great nutrients while the sauce is light yet creamy and delicious. You can easily add chicken or your favorite protein!
Weeknight Broccoli Cheese Pasta
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbsp white wine this will all cook off so sage for kids but can easily be substituted with broth
- 10 oz broccoli florets cut into 1” pieces
- 1 lb pasta
- 6.5 oz Aoulette or other spreadable cheese
- To Serve:
- Olive oil
- Red pepper flakes
- Fill a large stockpot with water and heat over high heat. Generously salt water. Bring to a boil.
- Heat large skillet over medium heat. Add butter, garlic and shallots. Season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Cook 5-7 minutes until golden brown.
- Add pasta to boiling water. Cook 2 minutes less than package directions.
- Add white wine, lemon juice and lemon zest to butter mixture. Stir to combine. Add broccoli and turn heat down to low. Cover and cook 4-5 minutes. You want to remove as soon as broccoli turns bright green. This will ensure a crisp and not soggy texture.
- In a large bowl, add spreadable cheese. Add broccoli and sauce. Using tongs, remove pasta from water and add directly to pasta bowl. Don’t drain pasta as some of the residual water will help create the sauce. Gently toss to combine.
- Plate pasta. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with red pepper flakes.