Salmon is a favorite around here for its ease of prep and plentiful health benefits. Changed it up a bit with amazing black lentils for a creamy taste and wonderful texture. (Note, these aren’t your grandma’s lentils…fear not!). You can easily find them online (I got a big bag on Amazon, at Whole Foods or even in the specialty foods section of a regular supermarket). Enjoy!
Broiled Salmon with Beluga Black Lentils and Herbed Yogurt Sauce
- 2/3 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh dill minced
- 1/4 cup fresh chives minced
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 shallot minced
- 13.5 oz can lite coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup beluga black lentils
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- 4-4 oz salmon filets
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients for yogurt sauce. Set aside in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Begin to prepare lentils. Using a medium sized saucepan, add butter, garlic and shallots. Heat over medium high heat and cook until butter is nearly melted. Add lentils and cook 2-3 minutes to lightly toast.
- Add broth and coconut milk with lentils. Turn heat up to high and bring to a gentle boil. Once boiling, turn heat down to low and cover. Cook 25 minutes or until liquid is mostly absorbed. Be careful to not overcook as you want them to remaining slightly al dente.
- Heat oven to broil. Place salmon filets on foil lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place pan directly under broiler and cook 7-8 minutes or until lightly browned.
- While salmon is cooking, finish preparing lentils. Lightly drain any excess liquid and return to pan. (You don’t want a ton of extra liquid but you also don’t want to lose the flavor so only drain if abundant liquid resides after cooking). Add lemon juice and zest. Mix to combine. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Plate with scoop of lentils in center of plate. Top with filet of salmon. Add dollop of yogurt sauce. Garnish with any remaining herbs.