The birthday girl asked for bolgonese so we delivered! An easy and flavorful sauce on your favorite noodles to please the entire family. If you have extra time, prep this ahead and let simmer as long as you have.
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 medium yellow onion minced
- 1 shallot minced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 1 lbs ground beef
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 – 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Fresh basil
- Freshly grated Parmesan
- Olive oil
- 1 lb Bucatini or favorite pasta noodles
- Add butter, onion and shallots to a large stockpot and heat over medium high heat. Cook 3-5 minutes or until starting to soften.
- Add carrots, celery, garlic, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, nutmeg and basil. Stir to combine. Cook 2-4 more minutes.
- Add beef and turn heat down to medium. Cook 10 minutes or until mostly browned, breaking up meat with spoon or spatula while it’s cooking.
- Add tomatoes and tomato paste. Stir well to combine. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn heat down to low and cover. Simmer for 30 minutes or up to 3 hours.
- In the last 10 minutes of simmering, add heavy cream and stir. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed.
- Heat a large stockpot with water and generously salt. Cook bucatini for 9-11 minutes or until al dente. Using tongs, scoop cooked pasta out of stockpot and add to bolognese sauce. Toss to combine noodles and sauce.
- Serve with fresh basil and grated Parmesan. Drizzle with olive oil.