Stop what you are doing and get this on the dinner table! Ah-mazing! We have a few family members who love Cacio e Pepe and will eat it almost anywhere at anytime!! Cacio e Pepe is translated as “pepper and cheese” in most Italian countries. This is a dish you don’t want to complicate as you really want the simplicity to shine. The orzo comes together quickly and is just delightful!
Cacio e Pepe Orzo
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 shallot minced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 2 cups orzo
- 4 1/2 cups broth
- 3 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Freshly cracked pepper
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, melt 3 Tbsp butter over medium heat. Once melted, add shallot and garlic. Cook 5-6 minutes.
- Lightly season with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Add remaining butter and orzo. Toast orzo 4-5 minutes or until butter is melted and orzo starts to have a slight nutty aroma.
- Add broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn heat down to low and cover. Cook 10-12 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat.
- Add heavy cream. Stir well. Add Parmesan, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp black pepper and 1 tsp lemon juice. Mix well and taste. Adjust seasoning as needed. You want a decent bite of pepper to make it cacio e pepe.
- Serve immediately. Garnish with extra pepper and freshly grated Parmesan cheese on top.