While on our honeymoon at Blackberry Farm in Knoxville, Tennessee, we had the most amazing breakfast grits. Like the melt in your mouth, “give me more”-type of Southern grits. I loved the idea of a warm bowl of grits as the base for breakfast and recreated my own version when we got back home. We love the creaminess of the grits with the egg and sauteed vegetables. Hearty yet healthy, warm and comforting!
Cheesy Grits with Sautéed Mushrooms and Broccolini, Fresh Prosciutto and Poached Eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth plus extra
- 1 cup corn grits
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms stems removed and quartered
- 8 oz broccolini tough parts of stems removed, then cut or torn into bite sized florets
- 4 eggs
- Distilled white vinegar
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Fresh prosciutto
- Microgreens or arugula
- Freshly grated Parmesan
- Freshly ground black pepper
- To prepare grits, bring milk, 1 ½ cups broth and 1 teaspoon salt to a simmer in a medium pot fitted with a lid. Slowly pour in grits while whisking to incorporate smoothly. Cook on medium low heat, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or according to package directions. Whisk frequently to prevent grits from sticking to the bottom. Once grits have soaked up all of the liquid, turn off heat and add in 1 tablespoon butter, mozzarella and parmesan, and stir to melt. Cover until ready to serve.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium pot filled three-fourths of the way with water to a strong simmer. Add 1 tablespoon white vinegar. Crack eggs, one at a time into a small bowl or ramekin. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to create a fast swirl of the water. Once moving, slowly add one egg a time. The water movement will help the whites of the egg stay contained and ensure it they don’t stick to the bottom. Set a timer for 3 minutes. Once cooked, use a slotted spoon to remove from water. Lay on a paper towel or napkin for excess water to drain off. Repeat with remaining eggs. Note, you need to create the swirling motion in the water with each new egg you poach.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add 3 tablespoons olive oil. Add mushrooms, tossing in oil to coat, and let brown for 5-7 minutes, turning occasionally to get even color. Once browned, add broccolini and garlic, tossing to incorporate into mushrooms. Add a splash of chicken stock to deglaze, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Turn heat to low and cover skillet to let steam for a few minutes longer, or until broccolini is tender and garlic is fragrant. Turn off heat and season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, scoop grits into four shallow bowls. Top each with mushroom and broccolini mixture, a poached egg, and desired garnishes.