Chicken & Wild Rice Soup with Heirloom Carrots, Cremini Mushrooms and Bacon
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 bacon slices chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 5 heirloom carrots peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 12 oz cremini mushrooms sliced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 10 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 12 ounces shredded skinless boneless rotisserie chicken breast (about 3 cups)
- 1 8-oz. package precooked wild rice (can substitute with 4 oz uncooked and just cook according to package instructions)
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1/3 cup gluten free flour
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high.
- Add olive oil and bacon to pan; cook 4 minutes or until crisp.
- Remove bacon from pan with a slotted spoon, leaving drippings in pan.
- Add onion, carrot, and celery to drippings in pan; sauté 3 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, thyme, mushrooms, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes.
- Add stock; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in chicken and rice.
- Combine half-and-half and flour in bowl, stirring with a whisk. Stir into soup; cook 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Top with bacon and serve.