I have some bad news. In a few hours, your family is going to look at you, yet again, and ask what’s for dinner? Good news? You can say “Chicken and Sundried Tomato Meatballs Stuffed with Fresh Mozzarella.” It’s fast enough that you can have it on the table tonight. These are a most-delicious, crowd pleaser and SO versatile! Serve with marinara and fresh basil for a perfect, high protein dinner option. Add your favorite pasta for a family pleasing meal. Double the recipe and save some extra meatballs for subs the next day.
Chicken and Sundried Tomato Meatballs Stuffed with Fresh Mozzarella
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chicken
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup finely diced onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup sundried tomatoes in oil drained and diced
- 1/2 cup Pecorino or Parmesan
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 egg whisked
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 package fresh mozzarella pearls tiny mozzarella balls, each about the size of a pom pom
- 1 jar favorite marinara sauce I love Muir Glen or Rao’s
- Fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400°F, setting rack to upper third part of oven.
- In a large bowl, using your hands, gently mix together first 12 ingredients. Shape into meatballs roughly 1 1/2” in diameter (slightly larger than a golf ball). Once ball is formed, take 2-3 small mozzarella pearls and push into center of meatball, ensuring the cheese is fully covered by the meat mixture. Place formed meatballs a few inches from each other on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Once all meatballs are formed and stuffed, bake for 15 minutes. While meatballs are cooking, heat marinara sauce on low heat until warm throughout.
- If serving with pasta, cook it now, according to package directions.
- Serve with scoop of marinara and 3-4 meatballs. Garnish with fresh basil.
- Save any extras for a meatball sandwich later in the week! Cut meatballs in half and layer on hoagie bun with marinara sauce and fresh mozzarella. Broil until cheese slightly melts for meatball-sub perfection!