Cinco de Mayo celebration with the best fajitas around! Easy, healthy and a crowd pleaser! Our crew loves Mexican food and we try to switch up our love for tacos a bit so fajitas are the perfect way to do it! On the table in less than 30 minutes and ingredients that you likely have on hand! Jazz it up a bit with our favorite avocado cream sauce, salsa or guacamole.
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 4 bell peppers red, orange, yellow, sliced into 1” strips
- 1 yellow onion thinly sliced into 1” long strips
- 8 tortillas
- Avocado cream see recipe below
- Salsa or pico de gallo
- Shredded mozzarella cheese or Cotija cheese
- Fresh cilantro or parsley roughly chopped
- Green onions diced
Spicy Avocado Crema:
- 2 avocados pitted and diced
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup avocado mayonnaise
- Juice of 1 lime
- Dash of kosher salt and pepper
- 1 jalapeno roughly chopped, seeds removed if desired for less heat
- In a small bowl, combine spices (paprika through pepper). Use a spoon and mix to combine. Set aside.
- Slice chicken into thin strips.
- Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Gently add sliced chicken breasts and begin to cook. Sprinkle seasoning evenly over chicken. Drizzle lime juice over chicken. Use tongs to mix and flip chicken as needed. Cook 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned and cooked through.
- Once cooked, remove chicken from skillet and set aside. Cover with foil until ready to assemble fajitas.
- Using the same skillet, prepare to cook veggies. Add 1-2 more Tbsp of olive oil and peppers and onions. Season with salt and pepper. Cook 7-8 minutes over medium high heat, rotating often, until softened. When cooked, remove from heat.
- Assemble fajitas with tortilla, chicken and veggies. Top with cheese, green onions, herbs and avocado cream or toppings desired. Note, if you have extra time, heat up the tortillas directly on the stove for a little charred flavor. Serve with rice and beans.
Spicy Avocado Crema:
- Combine all ingredients for avocado cream in food processor. Blend until smooth. Set aside.