We are crazy about Mexican food and will make it a million different ways to enjoy the flavors! Our taquitos couldn’t be easier with lots of shortcuts like rotisserie chicken and store bought salsa. The most laborious part of this is assembly and cooking but it’s so easy and SO WORTH IT! Our kiddos munched these right up as fast as I could make them! Even better yet, they heat up perfectly the next day (although we won’t know much about that since they were GONE!)
Chicken Taquitos with Cilantro Lime Crema
- 20-24 tortillas corn or flour, no larger than 6” in diameter
- 4 cups shredded chicken I like to use rotisserie chicken
- 2 cups refried beans I prefer to use our homemade Creamy Refried Beans recipe
- 1 cup favorite salsa
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 4-5 scallions diced
- Vegetable oil
- Shredded lettuce
- Diced tomatoes
- Fresh cilantro
- Cilantro lime crema see below
Cilantro Lime Crema (Makes 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup avocado mayonnaise
- 1 cup tightly packed fresh cilantro
- Zest and juice of 2 limes
- Kosher salt
- Heat roughly 1/2” oil over medium low heat in a fry pan.
- While oil is heating, prepare the taquitos. Microwave tortillas for 20-30 seconds to warm so they become more pliable. Work in small batches, warming 4-8 tortillas at a time. The warmer they are, the less likely the are to break.
- Spread first batch of tortillas out on a workspace. Work on the bottom 1/3 of the tortilla. Spread 1-2 Tbsp beans. Top with 1/4 cup shredded chicken. Top with sprinkle of scallions and 1-2 Tbsp shredded cheese. Gently roll up, using a toothpick to close, if necessary.
- Place seam side down in oil to fry. Cook until golden brown, roughly 4-5 minutes. Rotate with tongs. Cook with top side down until golden brown, roughly 4-5 minutes. Repeat until all are cooked. It may be best to work in batches. I heat my tortillas right before rolling and place in oil in batches of 4 or 8, depending on my pan size.
- Place cooked taquitos on a plate lined with paper towels. This will help absorb any excess oil.
- When ready to serve, plate taquitos. Top with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, scallions and fresh cilantro. Dress with either salsa or cilantro lime crema.
Cilantro Lime Crema
- Add all ingredients to food processor. Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed.