A fun, delicious and flavorful take on a regular burger! These flavors were reminiscent of being back in the southwest and we loved it.
Chimichurri Turkey Burgers
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 jalapeno seeds removed and diced
- 3 scallions greens and whites, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley minced
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 egg whisked
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp each cumin onion powder and garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1 cup shredded cheese or 4 slices cheese
- Poblano pepper omit if you desire a more mild flavor
- 1/2 cup avocado mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup store bought chimichurri
- Brioche hamburger buns
- Sliced tomatoes
- Combine all burger ingredients (turkey through cardamom) in a large bowl. Mix well. Form into 4 equal sized patties.
- Heat skillet over medium heat. Add a few tablespoons of olive oil. Add patties and cook 5-6 minutes on first side. Use a spatula to flip. Note, if burgers don’t easily flip, let cook another minute or so. Cook 5-6 minutes on second side or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees. Note, these can also be cooked on an indoor griddle or outside grill. Top with cheese in last 2 minutes of cooking.
- While burgers are cooking, prepare chimichurri mayonnaise. Combine chimichurri and mayonnaise in a small bowl or small food processor. Mix until smooth. Set aside.
- We love the addition of poblano peppers to this burger. They offer a great richness and some heat without being too spicy. Charing them softens the skin and really enhances the flavor. Char poblano by placing directly over the flame on a gas stove. Allow the skin to blacken and bubble up. It will do so in about 2-3 minute. Flip every few minutes and blacken every side. Add the charred pepper to a plastic baggie and seal, or to a bowl and cover. Allow to steam in the baggie about 10 minutes to loosen the skin. When cooled, peel off the skin and slice for burgers. Note, this can also be done on a high heat grill.
- Toast buns, if desired. Assemble by spreading chimichurri mayo on inside of both sides of bun. Add turkey burger. Top with tomato slice and poblano pepper. Serve with side of fries.