Looking for a healthy breakfast that will please a family of all ages? Meet our healthy baked oatmeal bars. Great for breakfast or a midday snack. We made these twice in two days and both batches were almost immediately gone. Enjoy!
Chocolate Chip Banana Baked Oatmeal Bars
Servings: 12 bars
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 very ripe medium bananas mashed
- 1/2 cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips divided
- 1/4 cup pepitas walnuts, or sunflower seeds, toasted and roughly chopped, divided
- Flaky salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray an 8×8 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line with parchment, leaving a 2 inch overhang on two sides, and spray again lightly.
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients (oats through nutmeg). In a small bowl, combine wet ingredients (eggs through vanilla extract). Whisk wet ingredients well. Slowly add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, mixing well to combine.
- Set aside 1 Tbsp each chocolate and nuts/seeds.
- In a medium bowl, use a fork or clean hands to smash bananas well (this is fun for kids to do!)
- Add remaining chocolate chips and pepitas to oat mixture along with mashed banana and combine. Pour into baking pan and smooth with spatula to evenly distribute. Sprinkle reserved pepitas and chocolate on top.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until edges of bars turn golden brown and middle is set. Sprinkle with flaky salt and let cool completely. Using parchment overhangs, lift bars out of baking pan and cut into 12 squares to serve.