A decadent way to ring in the New Year! Layers of chocolate and creaminess. Cheesecakes take a bit of time and patience but aren’t hard at all. Wow your guests or family with this delightful dessert!
Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecake
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 box chocolate wafers
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 3 blocks cream cheese room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 – 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup high quality cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups peppermint bark or chocolate
- peppermint candies crushed
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Crushed peppermint bark or cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a 9” springform pan, line the bottom with parchment. Wrap the base of the pan with foil, ensuring a tight seal around base so nothing seeps in.
- Using a food processor, combine chocolate wafers and melted butter. Pulse to combine until a wet, sand-like texture is formed.
- Press mixture into the bottom of the springform pan. Press firmly using the bottom of a cup to ensure a flat base. I also like to have some crust come up the sides slightly. Place crust in fridge to set while preparing filling.
- Using a stand mixture fitted with a whisk attachment or a large bowl with a hand mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add sour cream and incorporate. Add egg plus egg yolks, one at a time.
- With mixer on low speed, add evaporated skim milk and lemon juice. Mix until just incorporated. Add peppermint extract, cocoa powder and salt, mixing on low until smooth and no lumps exist.
- Turn mixer off. Add chopped peppermint bark and gently fold in by hand with a spatula.
- Pour the cheesecake mixture very gently over crust. Level top. Place springform pan in a large baking or roasting pan. Add hot water around outside of springform pan to fill larger pan roughly one inch.
- Very gently place in oven and bake for 75-80 minutes or just until cake is set. Turn off the oven and leave the cheesecake in the oven for additional 30-45 minutes.
- Remove springform pan from water bath. Cool on a wire rack 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen, but do not remove rim of pan. Cool 1 hour longer, then refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Remove cheesecake from springform pan and plate on cake plate or serving platter.
- Melt chocolate chips over a double boiler or in microwave. Gently whisk in heavy cream until smooth. Pour chocolate ganache over top of cheesecake. Gently spread in center being careful to not drop over edges. Refrigerate another 15-20 minutes. Garnish with remaining bark or cookies.