This is a colorful, fresh and delicious salad that is perfect for the holidays. Also a beautiful addition to a buffet! You can easily make this into an entree salad by adding grilled salmon, chicken or your favorite protein.
Citrus Wild Rice Salad with Warm Shallot Dressing
Servings: 8 servings
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups wild rice
- 4 oz pancetta or bacon
- 4 garlic cloves diced
- 1 shallot diced
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinaigrette
- 2 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups fresh spinach long stems removed
- 1 can mandarin oranges drained
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds optional
- Parmesan cheese for garnish (optional, omit for dairy free)
- Heat chicken broth over high heat in a medium saucepan. Once boiling, add wild rice. Turn heat down to low and cover saucepan. Cook 20-25 minutes or until broth is absorbed.
- While wild rice is cooking, prepare dressing. Heat a small skillet over medium high heat. Brown bacon 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently. Turn heat down to medium and add diced garlic and shallots. Cook 3-4 more minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil through black pepper. Add browned pancetta, garlic and shallots. Whisk well to combine. Set aside until ready to use.
- In a large serving bowl or on a large round cutting board, prepare salad to serve. Make a single layer of spinach on bottom. Top with warm wild rice. Spread mandarin oranges, pomegranate seeds, dried cherries and almonds evenly amongst salad. Garnish with shaved Parmesan cheese.
- Drizzle dressing evenly amongst salad. If serving for a group, place salad dressing in center of salad in a small bowl so everyone can individually dress as they wish.