A fall twist on a classic dish. The butternut squash adds a richness and slight nuttiness and the bucatini soaks up the sauce. Kids downed this one pretty quickly and gave two thumbs up! Perfect for a cozy night at home.
Creamy Butternut Squash Bucatini
- 2 lbs butternut squash peeled and diced
- Olive oil
- 1 shallot halved
- 1 head garlic
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 lb bucatini
- Fresh sage
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spread butternut squash and shallot on baking sheet. Drizzle generously with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Slice top of head of garlic, exposing cloves. Drizzle with olive oil. Wrap in foil. Nestle amongst squash. Bake 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
- Once butternut squash is cooled, blend roasted squash, shallots and garlic with remaining ingredients (salt through Parmesan) in a blender. Blend until smooth. Mixture will be thick.
- Heat a large stockpot 3/4 full of water over high heat. Generously salt water. Once boiling, add pasta. Cook 1 minute less than box directions.
- Drain pasta, reserving 1-2 cups of pasta water.
- Add 1 cup reserved pasta water to squash mixture. Blend again if necessary to smooth and slightly thin out.
- In a large serving bowl, combine sauce and cooked pasta. Toss well.
- Serve with fresh sage, extra Parmesan and black pepper on top.
To make gluten free, substitute bucatini for a gluten free option.