Hello Fall! We love all things seasonal, warm and cozy! This creamy pasta is easy, flavorful and fast! Great for a chilly night and for family dinner.
Creamy Butternut Squash Bucatini with Sausage
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 lb butternut squash peeled, seeds removed and diced into 1” squares
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 leek rinsed and diced
- 1 shallot diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp ground sage
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 cups baby spinach long stems removed
- 1 lb bucatini
- Olive oil
- Parmesan cheese grated
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spread squash on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Use hands to toss and evenly coat. Bake for 25 minutes or until fork tender.
- In a blender, combine cooked butternut squash and heavy cream. Process until smooth. Set aside. Note, this may be a touch thick but we will thin it out with some pasta water.
- Heat a large stockpot with water and generously salt. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, add noodles. Cook 7-8 minutes or until al dente.
- While noodles are cooking, prepare sauce. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add leeks, shallot and garlic. Cook 3-4 minutes or until starting soften. Add Italian sausage. Break up into pieces and cook to lightly brown. Add salt, pepper, oregano, sage and red pepper flakes. Mix to combine. Cook 7-8 minutes.
- Add butternut squash sauce mixture to pan. Mix to combine. Add spinach. Once you add pasta, spinach will slightly wilt.
- Once pasta is cooked, use tongs to remove from water and add directly to pan. Do not drain. Use tongs to slightly toss. Sauce may be slightly thick so add 1/4 cup pasta water if needed to thin. Mix well.
- To serve, drizzle with olive oil and grate with fresh Parmesan.