Perhaps my most favorite soup ever! Lemony, creamy, high in protein, easy to make and overall deliciousness. Make for dinner tonight and save extras for leftovers tomorrow.
Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
Servings: 4 servings
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 2 shallots diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 1/2 cups celery chopped
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 8 cups 2 quarts stock or broth
- 1 1/3 cup orzo
- Juice and zest of 2-3 large lemons approx 1 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 15 oz coconut milk
- Fresh parsley
- Parmesan cheese
- Heat a large stockpot over medium high heat. Add butter to melt. Generously season one side of chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken breast, seasoned side down, in stockpot. Season other side. Cook 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned. Flip chicken breasts and cook another 3-4 minutes. (Note, if chicken doesn’t easily flip, give it another minute or so). Remove from stockpot and set aside.
- Leave residual butter and brown bits in the pot. Add shallots, cooking 3-4 minutes over medium heat. Add garlic, carrots, celery, parsley, oregano, 1 tsp kosher salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper. Gently mix to incorporate. Cook 5-7 minutes.
- Add broth and gently scrape up any browned bits off bottom of pan. Add back chicken. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn heat down to low and cook 15 minutes. Using tongs, gently remove chicken and shred.
- Return shredded chicken to pot. Add orzo, lemon juice, lemon zest and Parmesan. Stir well. Cook covered on low heat for 10 minutes. Add coconut milk and mix to combine.
- Taste and adjust seasoning (salt and pepper) as needed. Serve with crusty baguette or crackers. Garnish with fresh parsley and Parmesan.