Creamy, rich and a bit unexpected! A wonderful weeknight meal option for the whole family! Easy to change up the protein, too, if sausage isn’t your thing. Enjoy!
Creamy Sausage Bucatini with Fennel and Spinach
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb chicken sausage links cut into 1/4” slices
- 1 shallot minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 fennel bulb white parts only, roughly chopped, reserve fronds for garnish
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 lb bucatini or favorite pasta
- 4 Tbsp cream cheese
- 1-2 Tbsp harissa
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- Fill a large stockpot with water and bring to a boil. Heavily salt the water.
- While waiting for water to boil, prep sauce. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add olive oil and sausage. Cook 5-7 minutes or until lightly browned. Using a slotted spoon, remove sausage from pan and set aside.
- Turn heat down to medium. Carefully add shallot, garlic and fennel to pan. Season with salt and pepper. Cook 5 minutes or until slightly translucent.
- Add coconut milk and paprika. Whisk to combine. Bring to boil and turn down to low. Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add pasta to boiling water. Cook 9-10 minutes or until al dente.
- Add cream cheese and harissa to sauce. Whisk well. Cover.
- Using tongs, transfer cooked pasta to sauce. Add sausage and spinach. Use tongs to combine.
- Add 1/4 – 1/2 cup reserved pasta water, if needed, to get desired sauce consistency.
- Garnish with drizzle of olive oil and fennel fronds.
- Note, you can easily sub out any protein here if you prefer chicken, shrimp, etc.