The most delightful and surprising muffins you’ll make. Our secret ingredient of sweet potatoes gives great depth and moisture to them! Don’t tell your kiddos about the extra nutrients from the added sweet potatoes and just watch them devour the Double Chocolate Chip Muffins.
Double Chocolate Chip Muffins
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups plus 1 tsp regular or gluten free flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp milk buttermilk, or non-dairy milk
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 cup peeled & grated sweet potato roughly 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips or chunks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat together butter and brown sugar until creamy. This can also easily be done with a hand mixer.
- Add eggs, one at a time and mix to incorporate.
- In a large bowl, mix 2 cups of flour, baking powder, kosher salt and cocoa powder. Add dry mixture to wet mixture and mix slowly to incorporate. Batter will be slightly dry at this point, Add milk, vanilla and sweet potatoes mixing to incorporate.
- In a separate bowl, dust chocolate chips with 1 tsp flour. Gently toss together. Mix chocolate chips into batter, reserving a few for topping the muffins.
- Line muffin tin with paper muffin cups or spray with nonstick spray. Add batter to muffin cups. Top batter with a few remaining chocolate chips. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool and serve!
- Added bonus? Serve warm with ice cream as a healthy evening treat!