A most delicious treat for breakfast or even a healthy dessert. We substituted the traditional oil or butter with applesauce for moisture and added perfectly, seasonal zucchini. Our kiddos devoured this as soon as it came out of the oven. Substitute the flour and you have a gluten free treat.
Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 2 cups flour sub for gluten free flour blend, if desired
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups zucchini grated and slightly squeezed of excess liquid
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp chocolate chips divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a standard loaf pan (or 4 minis) with nonstick cooking spray and line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine flour, salt, baking powder, and cocoa powder in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl or a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, cream together applesauce and sugar until well combined. Add eggs and combine. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until just combined. The mixture will be thick and dry. Then add buttermilk and zucchini to the mixture and stir until incorporated.
- Add 1/2 cup chocolate chips and mix on low to incorporate.
- Pour the batter into prepared loaf pan or divide evenly into minis. Sprinkle remaining 2 Tbsp chocolate chips over top of batter in loaf pan(s). For regular loaf, bake 55-65 minutes until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. For minis, reduce time to 35-45 minutes. Remove bread from oven to a cooling rack and let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.