Perhaps the only thing my hubby loves more than me is his coffee. So, for his birthday, we switched up our famous French toast bake / muffins for an espresso version. Loaded with that delicious coffee flavor and paired with chocolate, these decadent muffins are a win / win! Make these this weekend for your family (or loved one!). And, a very Happy Birthday to my sweet hubby!
Espresso French Toast Muffins
- 1 loaf bread Texas toast, challah or brioche work well, or sub gluten free, cut into 1” cubes (see note)
- 8 eggs
- 3/4 cup regular or almond milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 shots espresso roughly 1/4 cup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp all spice
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 cup chocolate chunks roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a standard size muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray or line with muffin liners.
- Crack eggs into a medium bowl and add milk through salt. Whisk well to combine. Add in bread cubes. Using clean hands or a spatula, work to combine bread with egg mixture, trying to absorb as much mixture into the bread as possible. Add in 2/3 cup chocolate chunks.
- Scoop bread mixture into muffin tins. Pour any extra liquid over top.
- Bake 35 minutes or until nicely golden brown.
- Remove from oven and garnish with remaining chocolate chunks. Let sit and cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve with fruit.