Our most popular orzo salad has a new twist on it, perfect for Fall. A most delicious lunch or light dinner for the whole family. The perfect balance of seasonal flavors will delight you!
Fall Orzo Salad
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups orzo
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups butternut squash seeds removed, peeled and diced into 1/2” pieces
- 1 1/2 cups acorn squash diced into 1/2” pieces
- 2 cups kale stems removed and roughly chopped
- 2/3 cup parsley stems removed and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup pepitas or pumpkin seeds lightly toasted
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1 can garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- 4 oz crumbled goat cheese
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spread diced butternut squash, acorn or delicata squash and red onions on baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Use hands to toss and coat. Roast 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Heat medium sized stockpot over high heat. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling, slowly add orzo and generously salt. Turn heat down to low and cover, allowing 11-13 minutes to cook or until liquid is nearly fully absorbed.
- While orzo is cooking, combine remaining salad ingredients except goat cheese (kale through garbanzo beans) in a large salad bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together salad dressing ingredients. Set aside.
- Remove roasted veggies from oven. Dice red onion into smaller pieces. Set aside.
- Once orzo is done cooking and liquid has absorbed, add to salad bowl. Add roasted squashes and red onion. Drizzle dressing over ingredients. Gently toss to combine.
- Plate salad on individual plates, topping with crumbled goat cheese.