Delicious, easy and a little bit sexy! One of my absolute favorites! Don’t be intimidated by the scallops. They are easy to cook and fantastic! Recipe is meant for four but can easily be halved for two!
Fennel Crusted Scallop Salad with Blood Orange and Olives
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 – 1½ pounds large sea scallops side muscle removed
- 6 cups arugula and kale blend
- 2 blood oranges skin removed and sliced into segments or thin rounds
- 2/3 cup pitted green olives drained and diced
- 1 bulb fennel razor thin slices of white part only (fronds will be used later in dressing)
- 1/2 cup pistachios
- 1 ½ tsp crushed fennel seeds
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Olive oil
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 Tbsp fennel fronds roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Make dressing by combining all ingredients in a small bowl, whisking to combine. Set aside.
- Toast pistachios in a small skillet over medium heat for 5-6 minutes, stirring often to make sure they don’t burn. Once fragrant and toasted, remove from heat. When they are cool enough to handle, roughly chop and add to a large bowl along with olives, fennel, arugula, and kale.
- Combine crushed fennel seed, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Pat scallops dry and sprinkle spice mix over all sides of scallops, pressing in to make sure spices stick.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and coat the bottom with 1-2 tablespoons olive oil. Once the pan is very hot, add scallops, spacing them out so they do not touch each other. Cook scallops on first side 2-3 minutes, until golden brown. Flip and cook another 1-2 minutes, until scallops are mostly cooked but still translucent in the middle. Remove to a clean plate.
- Toss salad with enough dressing to coat greens, saving any extra for another use. Plate salads with sliced oranges and 3-4 scallops per serving.