Looking for a wonderful appetizer that’s sure to please a crowd? This flank steak crostini is flavorful, easy and quick. Kids and adults alike love this one! The hardest part is keeping family members from eating all of the amazing steak while you prep!
Flank Steak Crostini
- 1 lb flank steak
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 8 oz mascarpone cheese
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Lemon zest
- Chives diced, for garnish
- Place steak in a large gallon sized Ziploc bag. Add next 7 ingredients (olive oil through black pepper). Seal bag (trying to remove as much air as possible) and combine well. Let steak marinate in fridge for at least one hour or up to six.
- Remove steak from refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking.
- When ready to prepare crostini, preheat oven to 425 degrees. Slice baguette into 1/2” thick rounds. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake 8-9 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Remove flank steak from marinade and place of cutting board. Use a sharp knife tip and tenderize the steak by making small cuts into the steak but not all the way through. You want to cut with the grain of the meat, an inch or so apart from each other. Depending on the size of your steak, you should cut 10-15 slits on a side. Flip and repeat on the other side.
- Heat a large cast iron or regular skillet to medium high heat. Add marinated steak. Spread out into a single layer of meat so all cooks consistently. Sear 2-3 minutes on each side or until well browned. Cover skillet with a lid and turn off heat. Remove skillet from heat keeping lid on. Let steak sit, covered for 5-10 minutes. Keep steak warm until ready to use. Note, steak should measure 130 degrees for a medium rare cut.
- When ready to use steak, lay on a clean cutting board. Slice very thinly, across the grain of the meat.
- In a small bowl, combine mascarpone cheese, lemon juice, zest of ½ lemon and ¼ tsp of salt. Stir well with a small spoon to soften and slightly thin out cheese.
- Arrange baked baguette slices on serving tray. Top with a dollop or schmear of the mascarpone cheese mixture. Add one piece of steak. Once all baguette slices are assembled, drizzle all with honey. (Discard any extra liquid from the steak marinade).
- Top with diced chives and lemon zest. Serve warm.