The perfect summer salad and easy dinner! Also doubles as a fantastic “lunch on the boat” option. Get as creative as you wish with ingredients and make it your own.
Greek Pasta Salad with Chicken
Servings: 6 servings
- 3 chicken breasts grilled and cubed
- 1 lb pasta either bow tie or fusilli shaped, gluten free if desired
- 1 pint grape tomatoes halved or quartered, depending on size
- 1 English cucumber chopped
- 1/2 red onion minced
- 1 – 8 oz jar kalamata olives pitted, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Juice and zest of 2 lemons
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cups baby spinach stems removed
- 1 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 2 Tbsp dill roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp chives roughly chopped
- Fill a large stockpot 2/3 full with water. Generously salt. Bring to a boil. Add pasta and cook 2 minutes less than instructed by the package or until al dente.
- While pasta is cooking, chop veggies. Season tomatoes with salt. Add tomatoes, cucumber, onion and olives to large salad bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice and zest, vinegar, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
- When pasta is done cooking, drain water. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water and set aside.
- Add drained pasta to bowl with veggies. Pour dressing over top of pasta and veggies and toss. Add chopped chicken and spinach. Gently toss again. Add feta, dill and chives, tossing gently one last time.
- Serve immediately. If making ahead, add 1/4 cup reserved pasta water to finished salad before storing in food safe container in refrigerator. This will help the pasta not stick and the salad to remain fresh. Will stay fresh 2-3 days.
Serves 6 as entree or 10-12 as side salad