Is Taco Thursday a thing? If not, we should make it one! Let’s start today. Our baked tacos are easy and quick enough that they can be on your table tonight! They are a favorite in our house and were on the menu this week. It’s a deliciously fun twist on traditional taco night. Quick, healthy and delicious – what more can you ask for?
Ground Turkey Baked Tacos
- 2-4 Tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion or 1 medium shallot chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 – 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 6 flour tortillas 8” diameter (don’t go bigger or smaller in size)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- Avocado slices or guacamole
- Cojita cheese
- Shredded lettuce
- Salsa or crema
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat oil over medium high heat in a large skillet. Add onions cook for 4-5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add garlic and turn down heat to medium high. Cook 2-3 more minutes.
- Add ground turkey, salt, pepper and seasonings. Cook 5-7 minutes or until just starting to brown. While cooking, use a wooden spoon or spatula to break up into small pieces.
- Add chiles and mix to incorporate. Continue cooking until meat is browned and cooked through.
- Lay tortillas out flat on a cookie sheet, sprayed with nonstick cooking spray or lined with a silicone pad. Spoon roughly 1/3 cup of the mixture onto the right side of each tortilla. Sprinkle 1-2 Tbsp shredded mozzarella cheese. Fold tortilla in half, pressing gently so top stays down. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Spray tortillas with nonstick cooking spray or lightly drizzle with olive oil so they brown nicely.
- Bake tacos for 8-10 minutes or until starting to slightly brown. If you like a crispier taco, place under broiler for 30 seconds at end.
- Top with favorite garnishes and serve with side of beans or Spanish rice.