A wonderful complement to our Creamy Tomato Soup or fantastic on their own. Nostalgia of being a kid but amped up a bit. Every since my grandma made grilled cheese with mayonnaise instead of butter, I’ve never made them another way. The best! We elevated the mayonnaise base into an easy aioli and it doesn’t disappoint! Note, this is easily made gluten free by simply swapping out the bread.
Grown Up Grilled Cheese
- 1 cup fresh packed basil
- ½ cup avocado mayonnaise
- 1 clove smashed
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 4 slices bread I prefer a thicker white bread, sub for gluten free if desired
- 4 slices regular or white cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- Combine all ingredients for basil aioli together in a food processor. Mix until well combined. Set aside.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Crack eggs into small bowl before placing in the skillet as this helps ensure no shells get into your eggs. Gently place each egg into skillet, leaving enough space in between the two eggs. Cook for 3 minutes on first side and flip over. Cook 2 minutes on second side. A little undercooked is best! Gently remove from pan with a spatula and set aside on a plate.
- Generously coat one side of each slice of bread with basil aioli. Add two slices of bread to skillet, heated over medium high heat, basil aioli side down. Add two slices of cheese to each piece of bread. Gently place cooked egg on top of cheese. Top with one more slice of bread for each sandwich. Ensure your basil aioli side is face up.
- Cook sandwich for 4 minutes on first side or until golden brown. Gently flip entire sandwich over and repeat until the other side is golden brown and the cheese is melted. Be careful to not overcook!
- Cut each sandwich diagonally and enjoy!