Delicious, filling, crowd pleasing and beautiful to serve. What more could you want? Our kiddos love this breakfast casserole and the blend of hash browns and eggs makes this the perfect main dish for your next brunch. Naturally gluten free is also a win!
Sausage, Egg and Hash Brown Casserole
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 shallot diced
- 1/2 onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp of kosher salt divided
- 1 tsp black pepper divided
- 1 lb ground italian sausage
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 – 20 oz bags shredded hash browns
- 18 eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 4 green onions diced
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Melt butter. Add onions and shallot. Cook 4-5 minutes. Add garlic. Cook 2-3 more minutes. Season with 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper.
- Add ground Italian sausage. Break up sausage with a wooden spoon or spatula. Add oregano and red pepper flakes, mixing to incorporate. Cook 7-8 minutes or until lightly browned, mixing every few minutes to evenly brown.
- Spray an 11 x 7” or 9 x 13” baking dish with nonstick spray. Add hash browns to bottom, pressing down with a spatula for make an even layer. Pour sausage mixture over top, spreading out evenly. Top with diced green onions.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, heavy cream and remaining 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper. Add half of cheese and continue whisking. Pour over sausage. Use a spatula to gently spread evenly. Top with remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake 45-55 minutes or until eggs are set and top cheese is melted. Note, the 11 x 7” dish will take longer than the 9 x 13” will. Serve with fruit.