It’s Game Day today, tomorrow and Sunday for our basketball kiddos. And, a big football weekend ahead. Make these meatballs ahead and pop them on the hoagies right before or after the big game! Crowd pleasers all around!
Hoagies with Chicken and Sundried Tomato Meatballs with Fresh Mozzarella
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chicken
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup finely diced onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup sundried tomatoes in oil drained and diced
- 1/2 cup Pecorino or Parmesan
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 egg whisked
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 package fresh mozzarella pearls tiny mozzarella balls, each about the size of a pom pom
- 1 jar favorite marinara sauce I love Muir Glen or Rao’s
- Fresh basil
- 6 Hoagie rolls or sub buns
- Shredded cheese or fresh mozzarella slices
- Preheat oven to 400°F, setting rack to upper third part of oven.
- In a large bowl, using your hands, gently mix together first 12 ingredients. Shape into meatballs roughly 1 1/2” in diameter (slightly larger than a golf ball). Once ball is formed, take 2-3 small mozzarella pearls and push into center of meatball, ensuring the cheese is fully covered by the meat mixture. Place formed meatballs a few inches from each other on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Once all meatballs are formed and stuffed, bake for 15 minutes. While meatballs are cooking, heat marinara sauce on low heat until warm throughout.
- Slice rolls in half but don’t slice all the way through. Spread few spoonfuls of marinara on roll. Once meatballs are done, slice in half or keep whole for a heartier sandwich and layer on marinara. Top with cheese.
- Broil until cheese slightly melts for meatball-sub perfection! Top with fresh basil once broiled and serve.