It’s a Game Day (and, we are headed to the game but if we weren’t, you bet these would be on our menu today!) Easy, fast, delicious and perfect for Game Day. Our Italian sub sandwiches are stacked high with deliciousness but low on effort. Wow your crowd with these!
Italian Sub Sandwiches
- 1 long loaf French bread cut in half lengthwise
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red vinegar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp dried sweet basil
- 1/2 lb sliced provolone or mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 lb salami thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb proscuitto thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb Black Forest ham thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup sliced pepperocinis drained (substitute sliced, pickled jalapeños if you want it a bit spicier)
- Shredded lettuce
- 2 Roma tomatoes sliced and sprinkled lightly with kosher salt
- Fresh basil
- Lay out top and bottom of bread after cutting I half lengthwise. Ensure bottom has an open workspace where you can work to layer it.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper and basil. Spread on bottom half of French bread using a pastry brush or spoon. Reserve roughly 1/4 of your mixture for later.
- Layer toppings, slightly overlapping each piece as you layer them. Start with sliced cheese, topped with sliced salami, Proscuitto and then Black Forest ham. Spread a layer of pepperocinis (or jalapeños if you want it spicier!). Add shredded lettuce, tomatoes and basil leaves.
- Drizzle remaining dressing over top with a spoon. Add top layer of bread and gently push down. Use toothpicks and press through entire sandwich, dividing into 6 or 8 even sections. Use a serrated knife and cut through sandwich, in between toothpicks to create individual servings. Serve with fruit, chips or pasta salad.