This bad boy is a hard worker. Perfect on a salad, in a wrap or on its own with your favorite sides! As we are spending more time these days working from our home offices, I love to prep this ahead of time and have chicken on hand for lunch options all week long!
Lemon Herb Chicken
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs chicken breasts
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- Zest and juice of two lemons
- 1/4 cup agave syrup or honey
- 2 tsp onion powder garlic powder and dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground mustard and smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Mix marinade ingredients (olive oil through black pepper) in a medium sized bowl or glass measuring cup. Whisk well to combine.
- In a gallon sized ziploc bag, combine chicken breasts and marinade. Seal tightly and try to remove as much air as possible. I recommend adding a second gallon sized bag over the first one to ensure the marinade doesn’t leak.
- Let chicken marinade for as long as possible in the refrigerator, at least 4 hours but up to overnight, if possible. When placing in refrigerator, lay flat so that the marinade covers as much of the chicken as possible.
- Cook either indoors in a nonstick skillet over the stove or outdoors on the grill. Heat stove or grill to medium high heat. Remove chicken breasts from bag using tongs, allowing extra marinade to drop off. Discard extra marinade. Cook 5-6 minutes on first side. Flip and cook another 5 minutes on other side. If your chicken breasts are thick, you will want to confirm internal temperature has reached 165 degrees.
- Remove from heat and cover. Let sit for 5 minutes. Great on a salad, in a wrap or on its own. Note, if you make a salad, add some fresh basil leaves with the greens as it really brings out the marinade flavors!