Our favorite cast iron skillet pizza crust is back! This week, it’s topped with some of our “pantry essentials.” We almost always have these on hand and can make a quick meal with our delicious crust!
Mediterranean Cast Iron Pizza
Servings: 8 servings
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 tsp yeast
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups basil pesto store bought or homemade, recipe below
- 14.5 oz can artichoke hearts quartered
- 1 cup green olives halved
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers diced
- 1-2 tbsp capers
- 5 ounces pancetta cooked
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 tsp chili oil
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 2 cups basil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup raw slivered almonds
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Combine water, yeast and honey in a small bowl. Let stand for 5-10 minutes or until yeast blooms and starts to bubbly slightly.
- In a stand mixer fitted with dough hook, combine yeast mixture and flour. Let mixer do the work for 5-7 minutes on low speed. Dough should pull away from the edges and form a loose ball. You want a slightly tacky dough, not dry. If the dough is too dry, add 1-2 Tbsp water.
- Tightly cover dough in a lightly oiled glass bowl with plastic wrap. Let sit for 60-90 minutes or until doubled in size.
- If making homemade pesto, prepare it now. Place all ingredients except olive oil in Cuisinart or blender. Begin to blend and drizzle olive oil into blender while going to emulsify. Adjust level of olive oil needed to drive desired consistency.
- When dough has doubled, roll out dough ball on lightly floured surface until slightly larger than your cast iron pan. Most cast irons are 12” in diameter.
- Lightly oil your cast iron by using 1 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil and a paper towel. Run along inside of pan. Place rolled out dough inside pan. (I like my dough to slightly creep up the inside edges for a nice crust). Drizzle lightly with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with kosher salt.
- Bake in preheated 425 degree oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven. Spread basil pesto over dough. Top with artichokes, olives, peppers, capers, cooked pancetta and cheese. Drizzle with chili oil and cook 8-10 more minutes or until cheese is melted.