A treat of a salad! Beautiful colors, textures and flavors. Wonderful as a main entree (vegetarian) or with a protein or also perfect as a side dish. Best part? This is even better when chilled as leftovers! Enjoy!
Mediterranean Orzo Salad
Servings: 6 servings
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups orzo
- 2 cups spinach
- 3 tomatoes diced
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 16 oz jar roasted red bell peppers drained and diced
- 1 can artichoke hearts drained and quartered
- 8 oz jar pitted kalamata olives drained and halved
- 8 oz jar pitted green olives drained and halved
- 1/2 cup pine nuts lightly toasted
- 1 can garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- 4 oz crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley stems removed and minced
- Heat medium sized stockpot over high heat. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling, slowly add orzo and generously salt. Turn heat down to low and cover, allowing 11-13 minutes to cook or until liquid is nearly fully absorbed.
- While orzo is cooking, combine remaining salad ingredients except feta cheese (spinach through garbanzo beans) in a large salad bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together salad dressing ingredients. Set aside.
- Once orzo is done cooking and liquid has absorbed, add to salad bowl. Drizzle half of salad dressing over ingredients. Gently toss to combine.
- Plate salad on individual plates, topping with crumbled feta and lightly drizzled with portion of remaining dressing.
- If desired, add in favorite portion. We love to serve with our “Best Ever 7-Minute Salmon” (available on website).
Serves 6 as entree or 12 as side dish