A Mexican twist on our crowd pleasing, skillet lasagna. Get this one on the table tonight! Made right in the skillet, this delicious lasagna is hard to beat. Note, I used an 14” skillet for mine. If you want to make for a smaller family or have a smaller skillet, simply half the recipe.
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 shallot diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 lbs ground turkey or beef
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 – 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 – 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 – 4.5 oz can diced chiles
- 1 box flat, oven ready lasagna noodles
- 1 – 14 oz can black beans drained
- 1 – 12 oz bag frozen corn roasted, if possible
- 8 oz marscapone
- 3 cups shredded cheese
- Green onions diced
- Jalapeños diced and seeds removed
- Fresh cilantro
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat a large cast iron or regular, oven safe skillet, roughly 12” or large in diameter, over medium high heat. Add butter and shallot. Cook 3-4 minutes or until starting to soften.
- Add garlic, turkey and spices (through chili powder). Cook 5-7 minutes, mixing regularly to incorporate flavors.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste and chiles. Mix well to incorporate. Turn heat down to medium. Cook 5-7 more minutes.
- Use a small bowl and remove 2/3 of mixture. Set aside momentarily. Use a spatula to spread remaining 1/3 of mixture into a thin layer on bottom of pan. Top with a thin layer of lasagna noodles. Be careful not to overlap but cover as much of pan as possible. Top with 1/2 of meat and tomato mixture that was set aside. Top with half of the beans and corn. Top with dollops of marscapone, using half it on this layer. Top with 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese. Repeat one more set of layers (noodles, meat sauce mixture, beans, corn, marscapone and cheese).
- Gently tent pan with foil. Cook for 25 -30 minutes in oven. Remove foil and cook 5 more minutes or until cheese is fully melted.
- Let sit 5 minutes. Garnish with fresh cilantro, green onions and jalapeños and serve.