There’s a new OG in town. It’s instantly become a house favorite. And, this recipe comes to you from the Dad behind “A Place for Everyone”. It’s an amazing take on a “smashburger.” Fast and easy and perfect for bringing summer burgers indoors. The simplicity is what makes this one so great! Widely labeled “best burger ever” by the kids, this is a guaranteed crowd pleaser. Want to make it gluten free? Simply swap the bun or wrap in lettuce.
Oklahoma Smash Burgers
- 1 lb ground beef we like 80/20 or 85/15 blend
- 1 white onion
- 8 slices high quality american cheese
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 4 Potato or Brioche buns sub gluten free, if desired
- Cut onion into very thin slices, roughly 1/8” thickness (option to use a mandolin at the thinnest setting). Ideally, onions should be so thin they are almost translucent. Add onions to a small bowl with a few pinches of salt. Set aside for 30 mins (the salt will absorb the moisture from the onions).
- Season ground beef with 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper, and form it into eight equal size balls. Spread out on a plate or baking sheet. Set aside to let beef get to room temperature.
- Heat griddle or cast iron skillet to 400 degrees. It’s important to use a griddle or skillet as you need a flat surface. A conventional grill won’t work.
- Split onions into eight equal sized mounds. Add to griddle or grill pan with a drizzle of olive oil. Grill until golden, roughly 3-4 minutes.
- Place a ground beef ball on top of each onion pile, and then use a firm spatula to smash each ball thin. Season lightly with additional salt and pepper. The grill onions will get pressed into the burger. Flip burgers after 60-90 seconds.
- This is a good time to place buns on grill to toast them. Add cheese on top of beef. After 45-60 seconds, remove from grill and double stack the burgers on a bun.
- That’s it! Add lettuce or tomato as desired, but resist the urge to add other condiments. The grilled onions and cheese are all this burger needs!