You all love one pan meals as much we do! They are easy, delicious and they cut the mess! One of our favorite red pepper sauces makes this a hit! And, the addition of broccolini for some color and vitamins is a great one. Enjoy!
One Pan Red Pepper Chicken and Orzo
Servings: 4 servings
Red Pepper Sauce:
- 16 oz jar roasted red peppers drained
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 cup heavy cream
Chicken and Orzo:
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, roughly 2 lbs.
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 1 shallot diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2-3 Tbsp broth or white wine
- 2 cups orzo
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 heads broccolini tough stems removed
- Olive oil
- Fresh thyme or basil
- Freshly grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Make red pepper sauce by combining all ingredients in a blender. Mix until smooth. Set aside until ready to use.
- Season both sides of chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large cast iron or oven safe skillet over medium high heat. Add butter and allow to mostly melt and then add seasoned chicken. Cook chicken 3-4 minutes. Flip chicken and cook 3-4 minutes on other side. Note, if chicken doesn’t easily flip or sticks to pan, it’s not yet ready to flip.
- Remove chicken from heat and set aside (note, chicken is not fully cooked at this time). Add shallots and garlic to pan. Reduce heat to medium. Cook 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Deglaze pan with a few tablespoons of chicken broth or white wine, scraping off brown bits. Add orzo and slightly brown, roughly 2-3 minutes.
- Add red pepper sauce, Parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese. Mix well. Gently nestle chicken back into pan.
- Toss broccolini in a small bowl with olive oil, salt and pepper to lightly season.
- Add broccolini to pan, nestling around chicken and orzo. Cover pan and bake for 25-30 minutes. Note, if sauce gets too thick while baking, add some chicken broth to loosen.
- Serve and garnish with fresh herbs and Parmesan.