The perfect filet and meal for Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. Even better? Any extra steak can be used for Steak and Eggs the next day. A family fav!
Perfect Filet Mignon with Herbed Garlic Butter
Servings: 4 servings
- 4 filets roughly 6-8 oz each
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 420-425 degrees.
- Remove filets from refrigerator 20-30 minutes prior to cooking. It’s best to have steak at room temperature before starting to prepare to ensure that you get an accurate cook time.
- Drizzle top side of filets with olive oil. Season generously with salt and pepper. Flip and repeat.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium high heat on stove top. Add unsalted butter to pan. Once butter has melted, turn heat to high. Quickly add filets to pan, searing for 2 minutes on each side. Watch timing closely as to not overcook.
- After searing on both sides, quickly move to preheated oven. Set a timer for 5-6 minutes and ensure you don’t overcook. This will deliver a perfectly medium steak. Adjust time up or down by 1 minute if you want more rare or more cooked.
- Remove from oven and let sit 3-5 minutes. Plate steak and add pat of herbed garlic butter to the top, right before serving. Serve with potatoes and veggies.
Herbed Garlic Butter
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 sticks unsalted butter softened
- 3 garlic cloves
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2/3 – ¾ cup fresh herbs I like a combination of sage, chives and thyme
- Zest of one lemon
- Ensure butter is at room temperature, not melted. Ideally, you want it soft to the touch. Using a food processor, combine all ingredients. Pulse until well combined. Butter and herbs should be nicely incorporated with no large pieces of herbs remaining.
- Using a spatula, scrape butter out of food processor and place on sheet of wax paper. Using the ends and sides of wax paper, roll butter back into a log. Tape or fold ends down. Place in freezer until ready to use. When ready to use, slice into ½’ slice for top of steak or other meat.
- Any extra butter can be stored in a Ziploc bag and placed in refrigerator for 2-3 week