Looking for a perfect Christmas Eve or Christmas Day dinner? We’ve got you covered! Our perfect filet is easy, simple and absolutely delicious. The herby garlic butter is the icing on the cake (or, butter on the steak, I guess?!). Pour a nice glass of wine, make a few appetizers and enjoy this with a loved one.
Perfect Filet Mignon with Herby Garlic Butter
- 2 filets mignons roughly 6 oz each
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
Herby Garlic Butter:
- 1 stick unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/3– 1/2 cup fresh herbs I like a combination of sage, chives and thyme
- Zest of a lemon
- To make compound butter, finely chop garlic and herbs and add to a bowl along with room temperature butter, lemon zest, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Stir well with a spoon or small spatula to incorporate everything evenly into the butter. Alternatively, throw everything into a food processor and pulse until evenly combined and no large pieces of herb remain. Butter can be made ahead, and leftovers can be kept in the fridge for up to two weeks.
- Preheat oven to 425 and remove filets from refrigerator to come to room temperature before cooking. This ensures a more accurate cook time.
- Heat a cast iron or oven safe skillet over medium high heat. Drizzle all sides of filets with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. When pan is very hot, add filets and sear for just 2 minutes on each side to get a nice crust. In the final minute of searing, add a tablespoon or two of Garlic Herb Butter to the pan and let melt around the steaks. Baste by spooning butter over tops of steaks.
- Quickly move the pan to the oven’s middle rack and set a timer for 5-6 minutes for a medium cook, spending on exact size of filets. Test doneness by feeling steaks or inserting a meat thermometer into the middle of the steaks. For a medium steak (warm pink center), internal temperature should read 135 degrees. Adjust cooking time up or down by 1 minute if you want steaks rarer or more well done. Let steaks rest for 10 minutes before serving with more Herby Garlic Butter.