A cute, festive and delicious appetizer to please your crowd! Versatile with store bought pesto or try one of our homemade ones. (Search basil pesto or arugula walnut pesto on our site for those recipes!). Kids and adults alike gobbled this one up quickly.
Pesto and Mozzarella Christmas Tree Bites
- 1 can buttermilk biscuits 8 count
- 2/3 cup homemade or store bought pesto
- 1/2 cup mini mozzarella pearl balls
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Flaky salt
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- Fresh herbs
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut each biscuit into quarters. Use fingers to press biscuit pieces into thin circles, roughly 1 1/2” wide.
- Place 1 tsp pesto into center of each biscuit. Top with 1-2 mini mozzarella balls. Wrap biscuit around mozzarella to seal shut. Place seam side down on baking sheet. Note, the pesto will get a bit messy but that’s expected. The extra pesto on the outside of the biscuit dough as you are making it will add to the flavor and color.
- Repeat with all biscuit pieces. To make a Christmas tree, start with two balls to form the base. From there, make a row with 7 balls of biscuits. Continue making the tree with one less ball each row. Top with a last ball to form a top. As you are placing the biscuits balls, you want them close but not too close. The biscuits will expand when cooking so a bit of space is good.
- Whisk egg and milk together in a small bowl. Brush over dough. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning and flaky salt. Lightly sprinkle Parmesan cheese over top.
- Bake 18-22 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with fresh herbs and serve with warm marinara sauce on the side. Guests can pull apart a ball and dip in sauce to eat. Enjoy!