A crowd-pleasing sandwich that’s warm, tender, flavorful and delicious! Perfect for game day or a weekend family dinner. Comes together easily and much of the time is hands-off. If you’re serving a crowd, this can be easily translated to smaller rolls to make a slider version (check our website for that modified recipe!)
- 4 lbs boneless chuck roast cubed
- 3 tsp each kosher salt smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp each black pepper and ground mustard
- 1 quart broth or stock
- 3 yellow onions sliced
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 8 hoagie rolls sliced
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers cut into strips
- 8 slices white cheddar cheese
- Olive oil
- Add meat, all seasonings and broth to crock pot. Cook on high for 5 hours. Remove from liquid with slotted spoon and shred meat with two forks. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Melt butter. Add sliced onions and cook on low for 15-20 minutes or until caramelized. Stir around frequently while cooking. (Note, if you have time and want an even more decadent version of caramelized onions, visit our website for that recipe!)
- Remove the rolls from the package and use a long, sharp knife to cut the rolls in half, lengthwise.
- Layer buns, open faced, on baking sheet. Drizzle inside of top bun with olive oil.
- Spread shredded beef on bottom of buns. Top with caramelized onions and red pepper strips. Cover with cheese slices. Keep bun open faced.
- Bake in 350 degree oven until cheese is melted. Serve while warm.