How cute are these festive holiday cheese balls? A delicious cheese mixture, made fancy with candied pecans. Serve with favorite crackers and enjoy!
Pinecone Cheese Balls
- 8 oz mascarpone room temperature can substitute block of cream cheese
- 5-6 oz container soft herbed cheese either Boursin or Alouette
- 2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup fresh herbs chives thyme, dill and rosemary are great options
- Zest of 1 lemon or orange
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 green onions
- 1 cup whole candied pecans I love Trader Joe’s candied pecans or their sweet & salty pecans
- Fresh rosemary and cranberries sugared, if desired
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Mix until smooth.
- Lay a large piece of plastic wrap on your counter. Pile mixture into center of plastic wrap. Pull plastic wrap around mix tightly to form a ball. Ensure all edges are sealed shut and place in freezer for at least 20 minutes. Can also be made ahead and frozen for a day or two, just allow a bit more time to thaw before serving.
- When ready to prepare dip, unwrap from plastic wrap and turn onto final serving plate. Using plastic wrap on top of the mixture, shape into a teardrop. Mixture will need to be chilled but not frozen (you want it slightly malleable) before shaping.
- About 10 minutes before you plan to serve, start to press pecans into mixture. Start at the top and gently overlap to make a layer. Try to only use full pecans for consistency. Broken pieces or halves can be used along edges.
- Decorate with rosemary and cranberries. Serve with crackers. If desired, check out our recipe for sugared cranberries and rosemary.