We’ll pretty much make tacos any day of the week! And, our pork carnitas are some of the best. They are pretty hands off once in the crockpot and sure to please everyone! Top with our delicious mango salsa for a little sweetness. Leftovers are perfect with scrambled eggs for breakfast tacos.
Pork Carnitas with Mango Salsa
- 4-5 lbs pork shoulder
- 3 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 tsp each cumin onion powder and garlic powder
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- Zest and juice of 2 limes
- 1 can green chiles diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 2 mangoes diced
- 2/3 cup fresh parsley minced
- 1 avocado diced
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- Corn tortillas
- Cotija cheese crumbled
- Fresh cilantro or parsley chopped
- In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper, cumin, garlic powder and onion powder. Mix well.
- Trim pork of excess fat. Rub spice mixture all over pork shoulder ensuring all sides are well covered.
- Place pork in slow cooker. Add onion, garlic and chiles. Cover with chicken broth. Cook on low heat for 8 hours.
- Using tongs, remove pork from slow cooker once done cooking. Be gentle as meat will be tender and will break easily. Lay meat on baking sheet. Using two forks, gently shred pork and lay in a single layer on baking sheet. Discard any excess fat.
- Place baking sheet directly under broiler. Watch closely and broil for 90-120 seconds to crisp edges. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Combine all ingredients for salsa in a small bowl. Mix well to combine.
- Prepare tacos by topping tortillas with pork, toppings of choice and salsa. Serve with rice or beans.