A delicious treat for the holiday season. Easy to pull together and delicious for kids and adults alike. The toasted coconut on top gives it great texture, color and flavor. Enjoy!
Pumpkin Cupcakes With Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
Servings: 1 dozen
- 1 ¾ cup flour I used gluten free blend
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp chai seasoning
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- ⅓ cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 8 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 2/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a standard size muffin tin with nonstick spray or line with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, stir together dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt, and spices).
- In another medium bowl, whisk together wet ingredients (pumpkin puree, oil, yogurt and vanilla) until smooth.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or using electric beaters, cream together the cream cheese and sugar until smooth and slightly fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add in 1 egg and a time and mix until smooth.
- Evenly divide batter amongst muffin tins and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a skewer or cake tester inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out with few moist crumbs attached. Let cool in pan for 30 minutes.
- While cupcakes are cooling, prepare icing. Use a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and beat cream cheese until smooth. Add powdered sugar and milk and beat again until smooth. Adjust powdered sugar until you get desired consistency. Add all icing to a gallon sized ziploc bag. Move icing to bottom corner and twist bag to remove extra air. Snip a very small hole in corner of bag and pipe icing out of bag on cupcakes. Chill while toasting coconut.
- Turn oven up to 375 degrees. Spread coconut out on small baking sheet. Bake 7-8 minutes or until lightly toasted. Garnish cupcakes with toasted coconut.