Pumpkin Risotto with Sauteed Mushrooms
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin purée
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 shallot diced
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- 2 1/2 tsp kosher salt divided
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese plus extra for topping
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms stems removed and sliced
- Chopped parsley
- In a large saucepan, whisk together broth and pumpkin puree. Heat over medium and cover until ready to use.
- Heat butter in a large skillet and over medium heat. Add diced onions and shallots. Sauté́ until slightly starting to brown, about 5-7 minutes. Season with 1 tsp salt. Add garlic cook for 30 more seconds. Add rice to pan, stirring frequently so rice can start to slightly toast.
- Very slowly, pour 2 cups of pumpkin broth into the rice. Add 1 tsp of salt, pepper and stir. Simmer over a medium low heat until rice absorbs the liquid. Continue adding broth, 1-2 ladles at a time until rice is fully cooked. Stir in Parmesan cheese, adjust salt and pepper if needed and remove the pan from the heat. Set aside and prepare mushrooms.
- In a small skillet, heat avocado oil on high. Add mushrooms and remaining 1/2 tsp kosher salt. Sauté́ 5-7 minutes or until slightly browned. Try to avoid overcooking so mushrooms won’t become soggy.
- Arrange risotto on serving bowls. Top with sautéed mushrooms, grated Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley.
- If choosing to serve with roasted chicken, see added steps below. Recommend beginning with chicken, allowing it to cook while preparing risotto.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Olive or avocado oil
- Kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp dried basil or thyme I also love Penzey’s Foxpoint seasoning
- 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper. Place chicken breasts on cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil (~1 tsp per breast). Sprinkle evenly with salt, pepper, and dried herbs. Squeeze juice of lemon over chicken.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes while prepping balance of dish.