A standby on tap for dinner last night. This one is a crowd pleaser and always part of the “clean plate club.” About an hour before dinner when I get asked what’s on the menu and I respond with this dish, kids are full of big smiles all around. Lots of you love it, too! Quick, easy and delicious!
Rigatoni with Sausage and Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic diced
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage mild
- 2 tsp Foxpoint seasoning or favorite Italian herb blend
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
Red Pepper Sauce:
- 12 oz. jar Roasted Red Peppers
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp. Black pepper
- ¼ tsp. Smoked paprika
- ⅛ tsp. Cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 2 pounds rigatoni I like the oversized ones
- 2 spring fresh basil chopped
- Fill a large stockpot with water and bring to a boil.
- While water is heating, make sausage mixture. Heat oil over high heat in a large skillet. Add onions and garlic. Turn heat down to medium high and cook for 4-5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add salt to season. Add ground sausage, fennel and Italian seasoning. Cook 6-7 minutes or until browned. While cooking, use a wooden spoon or spatula to break up into small pieces. Turn heat off once browned and let sit. Cover to keep warm.
- Once pasta water is boiling, add rigatoni. Cook for 11-13 minutes or according to package instructions.
- While pasta is cooking, make red pepper sauce. Add the roasted red peppers, garlic cloves, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, and cayenne pepper to the blender. Pulse until smooth. Using a saucepan, on medium heat, add the roasted red pepper puree. Bring to a simmer. Add the butter and allow to melt. Add the cream and Parmesan Cheese. Stir until silky and smooth. Once warmed, mix with sausage mixture and allow flavors to combine.
- Drain rigatoni. Gently toss rigatoni and sausage mixture in a large pasta bowl. Serve on individual plates. Top with fresh basil and extra freshly grated Parmesan, if desired.