Wow! Talk about fresh, delicious and fun! These roasted carrots would be a perfect addition to any Thanksgiving table. Using the green carrot tops for the pesto instead of traditional basil is a fantastic way to use the entire carrot and bring a delicious and unexpected bite to the pesto. You won’t go wrong with this dish! Kids and adults agree. Easy to double or triple for a crowd.
Roasted Carrots with Carrot Top Pesto
- 1 1/2 lbs carrots with green tops peeled and tops removed (reserve tops)
- Olive oil
- 1/2 cup greens from tops of carrots substitute fresh basil or Italian parsley
- 1 1/2 cups fresh Italian parsley
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Crumbled goat cheese optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lay carrots on baking sheet sprayed with nonstick spray. Drizzle generously with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper. Use hands to toss and ensure carrots are well coated. Spread carrots out along baking sheet so all have room to cook.
- Roast in oven for 35 mins or until fork tender.
- While carrots are roasting, prepare pesto. Combine all ingredients in food processor and process until smooth. Add slightly more olive oil if needed to achieve desired consistency.
- Plate roasted carrots on serving platter. Lightly drizzle with olive oil. Add dollops of fresh carrot top pesto. If desired, add crumbled goat cheese and serve.